Tuesday, October 27, 2009

warm winter drinks for cold winter weather

We're expecting our first winter storm here in Denver...and it's already begun to snow.

So, I'm sitting in the bed, avoiding important tasks (like washing dishes, washing clothes, washing ANYTHING), and sipping a hot cup of cocoa from a mix my mother-in-law puts together and sends the kids each year when the weather turns cool. It's yummy!

But, I love her "from scratch" version even better.

My other favorite cool-weather drink is Wassail. I love to keep a big pot on the stove, and sip from it all day. I like a pretty tart, less spicy wassail.

So instead of cleaning, I'm searching Etsy for ingredients that will make my warm drinks even better this year...Here's what I've found...

Cocoa Power (for Breakfast cocoa) by Layla

Homemade Maple Marshmallows (also for cocoa) by whimsyandspice

Cinnamon sticks (for wassail) by itsmeowornever


Whole Cloves (for wassail) by bayberrymeadowherbs

And, to enjoy it all...a coffee cup in lime green by suzzeeholler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Recipes: (please let me know if you try one!)

Breakfast Cocoa
Serves 4

1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/3 c. sugar
dash of salt
1/2 c. water
3 1/2 c. milk
1/2 t. vanilla

In a saucepan, mix cocoa, sugar, salt. Add water. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.

Stir in milk, heat to boiling point, BUT DO NOT BOIL. Add vanilla.

If desired, beat with blender or frother just before serving (I never have). Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, or ice cream. Makes 4 cups.


Wassail
2 quarts apple juice
2 1/2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups orange juice
1 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole cloves

Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven (or big pot), bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer an additional 20 minutes. Strain and discard cinnamon and cloves. Serve hot. Yield: 3 quarts.

Fantastic to leave on the stove during a holiday party...just let guests help themselves.

1 comment:

  1. They all sound delish!

    I just wanted to stop by and let you know that you've won your choice of the 3 perfume samples by Illuminated Perfume on my giveaway!

    Please use the contact link at the top of my blog to send me your shipping info and choice of the solid Q perfume, the liquid Q perfume or the Phoenix Mini Myster.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!